Sunday, April 19, 2015

Chicken Sous-Vide

Sous-Vide chicken has to be the easiest  thing you will ever cook. I have a wife and two kids and I love preparing this tasty meal for them in advance. It's fast and easy to do. 
 Simple to do. Start out with a whole chicken. Twenty fours in advance dry-brine  the whole chicken by coating the whole chicken with kosher salt; inside and out.
Cut out the back bone and split chicken into.
Vacuum seal. Personally I always double vacuum seal. There is no waste because I use a regular bag first then a reusable Waring bag for the second enclosure. Call me paranoid but I have had a bag or two fail during the cook and it was terrible to clean up. 
I Sous-Vide the chicken at 145 degrees for 7 hours. I always shoot for 6-8 hours. Here they are all cooked and resting until the next step.
Pr-Heat the BBQ to about 350 ish degrees. I sprayed a little oil on the breasts then applied my favorite spice rub. 
Slather the chicken with your favorite BBQ sauce and apply more rub if you want. I applied more rub but you can't see it because I forgot to take a picture of that step. 
I indirectly cooked the chicken at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes or so. Just enough to get the outside nice and pretty.