Wednesday, November 4, 2015

"The Majestic Hanger Steak"

Hanger Steak prepared Sous-Vide makes this a prized carnivore delight that sits on top of the food chain. A real beefy flavor and richness that has almost no equal: of course this is subjective. 

Here's a great article to read on Hanger Steak. 

Here’s Why Your Butcher Wishes You’d Stop Ordering Hanger Steak

Here is a pic of the untrimmed Hanger steak. It actually looks pretty good. I am just gonna take off some residual silver skin and hard fat.
All sealed up and ready for the thermal bath. Note: I always Dry-Brine meat 12-24 hours in advance (24-Sweet-Spot). If Hanger steak is cooked incorrectly, it will be very tough. Everything I have ever read on this particular cut suggests high heat and to serve Medium-Rare. Failure to follow these suggestions will result in eating shoe leather. We're not worried about overcooking, of course, because we will process with Sous-Vide. My experiments HERE prove that salt is essential not only for flavor but moisture retention too. 

I only use .60% Salt at 24 hours, and if I use Fish Salt, I use 1% at 72 hrs. 
Anyhow I Warm-Aged the steaks at 104℉ for 90 min followed up with 128 ℉ for 4-5 hours. Note: I added boiling water to the container at the 90 min mark to accelerate the climb to 128℉. Since we only warm aged for 90 min adding boiling water to accelerate the ascent to an appropriate is just a suggestion. You obviously can't add boiling water if you are SV'ing remotely, as I often do with my Joule I.C. 
After the thermal bath, I shocked the meat in an ice bath for 2 hours, then refrigerated the proteins until I was ready for the next step. My schedule is hectic, so this technique served two purposes. Putting the meat on the grill with the flames of hell hitting it would surely raise them temp way above rare, but since the meat went on super cold (35˚ƒ), all this was mitigated.  
Sliced across the grain. Be careful here and pay attention because I noticed all three chunks of meats had crazy grains.




Chimichurri Sauce made with Caramelized onions
Avocado Compound butter made with Cumin, roasted garlic, lime juice, and zest, etc. etc







Update- I now Warm-Age at 113 f for 4 hours. Also, if Jaccarded, I prefer 128f at 3-4 hours. If not, 5-7 hours is about right. At 128f the mouthfeel is a little slippery but awesome if sliced thin. If you like a slightly firmer steak, go for 130 f. If you decide to Mechanically tenderize (Jaccard), you need to take precautions. Please read this article before attempting to Jaccard...HERE and HERE.


No comments:

Post a Comment