Saturday, March 9, 2019

Sous-Vide-Processed Organic Chicken Breasts in Bulk

I've written a few posts on Chicken Breasts, Dark Meat, and whole chickens so why not one more. The all-inclusive ones are located here... #1 and #2. Make sure to look at those links if you want some extra information. 


If you can afford it go with Organic Chicken. Organic almost guarantees perfect results every time. Non-Organic Chicken has always been hit and miss for me. 
One large package from Costco contains 9 breasts. I usually do 18-27 breasts at a time. Yes.....we eat a lot of chicken. 
 To apply spices, herbs or whatever else you're in the mood for place breasts on a large platter. When I do substantial portions, I use a container. 

Note: before I applied Spices I used a very sharp knife to remove the undesirables. There's always a fragment of bone or extra fat that is not needed. 
It's entirely up to you what flavors you want, but I tend to mix them up a bit so I can have a variety. When I make a large batch of breasts (18-27), I season them differently. 
The Bruschetta mix contains salt which is what I wanted, and the Poultry seasoning adds another element. Use whatever you want or choose a favorite rub. You must use salt though. Dry-Brining has lots of attributes. Give the internet a search. Sometimes if I plan on making several dishes during the week and I want to culinary options in regards to the flavor, I only use salt. 

Note: When I am using just salt or using salt wither other spices and herbs I will use .60% Salt to the Chickens weight. I.e., If the Chicken weights 1000 grams I will use 6 grams of salt. 1000g X .6% or .006 = 6 grams  
 VAC SEALED FOR 24 HOURS.
SV-PROCESSED AT 145F for 3 HOURS 
They were shocked in ice water than refrigerated until use. I always SV-Process Chicken to the point of pasteurization. The thickest breast I came across in this batch was 32 mm, and at 145f it takes 2 hours and 23 minutes to pasteurize. So I always go for 3 hours. (SEE UPDATE)
 Right out of the bag than dried off..... the picture reflects an undried breast. 
 I coated the breast in a little flour for a crust but not necessary. Again it depends on what you will be doing. 

Note: the breast was not re-thermed before frying. The heat from the oil re-themed the protein to adequate serving temps. 
Extremely moist and delicious.


 How to keep?

(SEE UPDATE)


From Baldwins's table!!!!

While keeping your food sealed in plastic pouches prevents recontamination after cooking, spores of Clostridium botulinumC. perfringens, and B. cereus can all survive the mild heat treatment of pasteurization. Therefore, after rapid chilling, the food must either be frozen or held at............

  1. below 36.5°F (2.5°C) for up to 90 days,
  2. below 38°F (3.3°C) for less than 31 days,
  3. below 41°F (5°C) for less than 10 days, or
  4. below 44.5°F (7°C) for less than 5 days






1 comment:

  1. What is that delicious looking piece of meat at the top with the fork in it? \


    Thanks, Linda

    ReplyDelete